HobbyKings.com - Only the Elite
FAQ Search Staff Members Groups Register Login to check PMs
Rules Login/Out Store
Twitter Facebook YouTube Blog
Looking for the Best Baseball Wax to bust? (VIDEOS INCLUDED)

Post new topic   Reply to topic       HobbyKings.com Forum Index -> Baseball -> Hobby Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phxsunsfan*Oden_Collector
BANNED

Topics: 749
Feedback Score: 50

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Looking for the Best Baseball Wax to bust? (VIDEOS INCLUDED) Reply with quote

Let me start off by saying that this DOES NOT include lower end products, but higher end products which have come down in price and have the best chance of yielding you a great hit. There are certain products, like Legendary Cuts, that on a box by box level it can be rough. BUT for the price you can buy enough boxes to greatly increase your odds without spending the cost of a case

The list below is for the products and their prices as of the end of November 2008. If you have any questions, please ask and I will try and find out for you.

2005 Products

2005 Donruss Signature Series Baseball Hobby Box ($210)
2005 Playoff Absolute Memorabilia Update Baseball Hobby Box ($200)
2005 Upper Deck Heroes Baseball Hobby Tin (Box) ($40)

Click the Spoiler below for details of the 2005 products listed above, including Video Box breaks

Hidden: 

2005 Donruss Signature Series Baseball Hobby Box ($210)
This product contains 4 pack boxes in which you will get at least 8 hits per box. Mostly autos, but when you get a gu card with no auto, it is of HOFers such as Ruth, Clemente, etc. The autos in this set range from up and comers from '05, which means they are no one now, lol. BUT every box teads to yield a decent HOF auto. Also you can get a fair amount of multi player auto cards. Check out youtube for a few breaks of this product and you will see how it usually breaks down.

Link

2005 Playoff Absolute Memorabilia Update Baseball Hobby Box ($200)
This set is VERY risky, but it is also the set that has the over sized Babe Ruth Swatches. They are numbered to 100 and 25 as they were produced before Donruss lost their MLB license and they used up as much of their memorabilia as possible. There are also huge patches and GU to be pulled, at least one per box. There is also one auto per box with a good mix of young stars, super stars and HOF autos.

Link

2005 Upper Deck Heroes Baseball Hobby Tin (Box) ($40)
If you are looking to bust a lot of product and come away with some nice cards, this is the product for you. I believe the SRP was pretty high when this product first came out, but since autos fall one every three tines, the price dropped. The most recent players you can pull are Ripken and Gwynn, and filled with older players GU cards. The autos are on card and look amazing. There as also low numbered GU/Auto cards to chase. If you want to start a HOF collection, this is one of the best products to bust.

Link

2006 Products
2006 Topps Co-Signers Baseball Hobby Box ($100)
2006 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection Baseball Hobby Box ($200)

Click the Spoiler below for details of the 2006 products listed above, including Video Box breaks

Hidden: 

2006 Topps Co-Signers Baseball Hobby Box ($100)
This was the first year Co-Signers was a set and by far the best. No gimmick boxing autos or scouts. This had the best combos and the most star players to pull. There are also 1 dual cut per case, even though they are weak if you dont pull a huge name. The young player autos are also strong, so even if your dual is not great, the two single player autos might make up for it.

Link

2006 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection Baseball Hobby Box ($200)
As usual with Ultimate, it is a risky product. This year's version has one hit per box which falls one GU, one patch, one rookie auto and one multi player auto. While the 2007 Ultimate yields 12 total hits, the quality of the hits seems to be better in 2006. Every box also has a box topper which is either a 1/1 printing plate or a legends GU card.

Link

2007 Products
2007 Bowman's Best Baseball Hobby Box ($140)
2007 Upper Deck Black Baseball Hobby Box ($100)
2007 Upper Deck Premier Baseball Hobby Box ($200)
2007 Upper Deck SP Legendary Cuts Baseball Hobby Box ($55)
2007 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection Baseball Hobby Box ($200)
2007 Topps Triple Threads Baseball Hobby Box ($200)
2007 Topps Sterling Baseball Hobby Box ($200)

Click the Spoiler below for details of the 2007 products listed above, including Video Box breaks

Hidden: 

2007 Bowman's Best Baseball Hobby Box ($140)
This product has NINE auto cards per master box, 3 per mini box. The cards are thick stock (all GU sized) and are printed to be glossy. Every mini box yields one prospect auto, one rookie and one veteran auto. There has been the mini box every now and then that has 3 great autos, but usually you get one very good player auto per mini box, especially the young stars. I believe every 8 box case has one random buy back auto pack inserted into one of the boxes. All the top name stars that signed for Topps that year are included.

Link

2007 Upper Deck Black Baseball Hobby Box ($100)
If you are looking for a product to get you great looking cards, Exquisite style, UD Black is for you. The cards are thick and every one is autographed. Two packs per box, with two autos per box. You can pull multi player autos, RC autos, young star autos. This can be a rough product with some of the players included in the auto line up, but that is the risk of busting wax Razz The thing you want to see most is one of your packs to be White, not Black. If you pull a white pack, you just got yourself a GUARANTEED 1/1 Auto. Those are not easy to come by, but seem to fall one every one to two cases.

Link

2007 Upper Deck Premier Baseball Hobby Box ($200)
This was the first Premier set to be released in any sport. Started off with a $300 price tag, but has dropped since the release. I have never seen a "dud" pack of this stuff opened. While each box might not get you all your money back, there will always be one amazing card inside. There are a few packs with just one auto, but when that is the case, it is usually a GOOD auto Smile There is also a very good range of older players. If you are looking to add to your collection and cover new guys and older guys, this is a very good high end product to dso it with. There are also some AMAZING patches to be pulled.

Link

2007 Upper Deck SP Legendary Cuts Baseball Hobby Box ($55)
At the SRP of $120, you are NUTS to bust this stuff. Cut autos are one every 8 boxes, 16 boxes per case. Every box has 2 GU, with a total of 4 autos per case (2 cuts, two sticker of more recent HOFers). You can also pull 1/1 Film Reels of old Baseball games. Something different, but hard to pull. But at $55 per box, this is a little easier to deal with. If you are happy pulling GU cards of HOFers or other legends, you should like this product.

Link

2007 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection Baseball Hobby Box ($200)
4 packs, 12 hits. Every pack has 2 GU and 1 auto. One patch per box. Usually it is 2 RC autos per box and 2 other auto cards. This product suffers from quality over quantity. Some of the GU cards have small swatches, but there are also GU cards with two to four players, all having patch parallels. Look for case hits being auto/gu cards. IF you are looking for a product to add a fair amount of hits, with a decent chance to pulla few nice cards, give this a shot. Just dont expect to find HUGE name HOFer hits.

Link

2007 Topps Triple Threads Baseball Hobby Box ($200)
Similar to Premier in terms of a good mix of current and past players, this is more a Topps product as it SHINES! What is nice with this product is that you can count on one thing. If your GU hit is nothing special, your auto will be great. If your auto is not so hot, you will hit a GREAT GU card. I busted a case worth of these and never hit a bad box. Every nine box half case will yield either a triple auto GU or a 1/1 Auto GU card. Fantastic cards and easy to fall in love with. I highly recommend this product and this year's release.

Link

2007 Topps Sterling Baseball Hobby Box ($200)
This product has a very interesting concept. Each pack/box is player specific and has a list of 29 different players. Names like Mantle, DiMaggio, Ichiro, Ryan Howard, A-Rod and many more are included in this product. If the box reveals the name on the outside, you know for sure you are getting a hit of that player inside the box. Some players yield a better chance of hitting an auto over others, but the only two players who do NOT have autos Ichiro and Dice-K (UD Exclusive). There is also a mystery pack on top of the box which will have parallel version of the base cards, but the players are random and do not usually match with the player on the box. Every ten mystery packs does contain a GU 1/1 Letterman card, but that checklist is not limited to those on the boxes.

Link

2008 Products
2008 Upper Deck Sweet Spot ($100)
2008 Topps Triple Threads Baseball Hobby Box ($150)
2008 Upper Deck Premier Baseball Hobby Box ($180)
2008 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection Baseball Hobby Box (Pack) ($80)
2008 Playoff Prime Cuts IV Baseball ($225)

Click the Spoiler below for details of the 2008 products listed above, including Video Box breaks

Hidden: 

2008 Upper Deck Sweet Spot ($100)
This product was a great surprise. A very good mix of younger and older players, and a very strong checklist. Now with six mini boxes, it has 1 RC auto, one sweet spot auto and 4 GU. Also, there are about 4 patch cards per case. Like most years of Sweet Spot, this will probbaly drop in price. Once it hits the $80 level, it will be a FANTASTIC bust.

Link

2008 Topps Triple Threads Baseball Hobby Box ($150)
This year's release suffers from a weaker group of young players. The autos are rough, but I would say in a year a lot of these "meh" autos you can pull will be sought after as these guys become starts. So the price is lower then the previous year's release, but the addition of TONS of exclusive HOF players makes this a fun product to bust. While I have been hammered myself when busting this product, I have seen some stunning cards pulled. Not as strong as the previous year's release but still worth it if you rather save the $50. You can still pull logoman, letters, bat barrels and many awesome hits.

Link

2008 Upper Deck Premier Baseball Hobby Box ($180)
Like 2008 Triple Threads, this also suffers from a weaker line up of young stars. But UD added Bat Barrels, Logoman (like in the video below) and a lot of multi player singed cards. Like the previous year's release, every pack tends to yield at least one very solid hit, but most packs have more. Premier is my favorite product to bust, but I am biased, mainly based on the video below (provided by me Smile)
Warning, naughty language in this video....but deserved based on the awesomeness Smile

Link

2008 Upper Deck Ultimate Collection Baseball Hobby Box (Pack) ($180)
Getting away from the 12 hits per box, UD is revamping the Ultimate line buy making it a one hit per pack/box in all sports. 15 boxes per case, 15 hits. 10 will be autographed cards, 5 will be GU only, but will be over sized swatches (half the card) or patches. One multi player signed card per case, 6 GU/auto were the auto is on the Game used swatch. Price per pack will probably be about $100 per pack, but instead of busting a case with a 50% being auto'ed, it is now 66%. Better odds are a nice thing Smile

Link

2008 Playoff Prime Cuts IV Baseball ($225)
This will be Donruss' return to high end baseball, but in the form of unlicensed product. Not only are they going to include Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson, but also the players exclusive to Topps (bad boys Donruss Razz) $200 SPR per pack, 4 hits a pack with a mix of prospect autos and HOF GU. Over sized swatches/patches and muti player GU are included, as well as 1/1 cut autos from the biggest names in baseball, regardless of exclusivity to other companies

Link

Last edited by phxsunsfan*Oden_Collector on Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:40 am; edited 11 times in total
SHAWNSSPORTSCARDS
Contributing Member

Topics: 535
Feedback Score: 52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I <3 Triple Threads and Sterling!!!!! I am gonna get a case this year of Topps Sterling!! Playoff Prime looks cool as well...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BANNED

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAWNSSPORTSCARDS wrote:
I <3 Triple Threads and Sterling!!!!! I am gonna get a case this year of Topps Sterling!! Playoff Prime looks cool as well...

Videos, right? I am doing videos from here on out for baseball wax. Too much fun not to Smile

SHAWNSSPORTSCARDS
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHA....yup. I will video it!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BANNED

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated 1/2/09

SHAWNSSPORTSCARDS
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be getting a case (or a half case) of Sterling tomorrow. I will video that!

BANNED

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAWNSSPORTSCARDS wrote:
I am going to be getting a case (or a half case) of Sterling tomorrow. I will video that!

Very nice. Topps or Bowman sterling?

wait, I am talking to Shawn...of course Topps Sterling, lol.

BTW, if you get a Clemente Box and might consider selling it, I would love to buy it (if you dont bust it)

SHAWNSSPORTSCARDS
Contributing Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phxsunsfan*Oden_Collector wrote:
SHAWNSSPORTSCARDS wrote:

BTW, if you get a Clemente Box and might consider selling it, I would love to buy it (if you dont bust it)

HAHA....of course of course. I will let you know! Hopefully I dont get caught up with myself and bust it if I do Wink Shocked Cool

BANNED

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHAWNSSPORTSCARDS wrote:
phxsunsfan*Oden_Collector wrote:
SHAWNSSPORTSCARDS wrote:

HAHA....of course of course. I will let you know! Hopefully I dont get caught up with myself and bust it if I do Wink Shocked Cool

I wouldn't blame you if you do, lol.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       HobbyKings.com Forum Index -> Baseball -> Hobby Talk All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: